It's funny how you underestimate the time it takes to get something done. All that was left was to make Ellie's shirt and sew her up. I estimated it would take an hour, maybe a little more. How hard could it be? Ha!
I wanted to add an Earth patch to the onesie I bought at the thrift store. James painted an Earth when he was in Kindergarten and I fell in love with it. I thought it would be the perfect Earth Protector emblem!
I tested a few different size Earths to see what worked best. Originally, I envisioned a large Earth in the center of her shirt, but decided on creating a pocket-sized one.
After technical difficulties getting the printer working, I finally got the Earth printed on transfer paper. I did a test run on an old shirt to make sure I didn't mess it up. Worked like charm.
I then printed another copy and went to work on adhering it to the onesie. The iron was hot; I had the pillow case ready to go, which I am still not sure why I needed it, and started ironing on the Earth. It wasn't sticking.
As you will see from the video below, I realized after a few minutes of ironing, that I didn't take off the back adhesive so of course it wasn't going to stick. How embarrassing! I quickly rectified the situation, peeled off the backing and within a few seconds of ironing, the Earth was firmly attached to the shirt!
Now all I had to do was to sew everything together! I had to wait until the shirt was finished to do this because I could not be able to get the shirt on if everything was already attached. I'm glad I realized this before I started sewing.
Other than having to resew the legs a few times, everything went well, even if it took me the better part of half a day!
And there she is, backpack and all!